Being stewards to the land is paramount to us. One of the ways we ensure we're on track is by adhering to the Sustainable Winegrowing New Zealand's standards. This is an industry wide certification program led by New Zealand Winegrowers.
The Sustainable Winegrowing New Zealand programme is based on continuous improvement and adherence to recommendations and guidelines issued by the International Organisation of Vine and Wine (OIV). Sustainable Winegrowing New Zealand ensures members meet international standards for sustainability practices while helping the environment, businesses and local communities to thrive.
The programme was introduced commercially in 1997 and adopted by grape growers across the country’s winegrowing regions. Sustainable winery certification standards were established in 2002 and adopted by New Zealand wineries, closing the circle on the industry’s sustainability commitment.
Sustainable Winegrowing New Zealand was developed in order to:
- Provide a 'best practice' model of environmental guidelines for the vineyard and winery.
- Guarantee better quality control from the vineyard through to the bottle.
- Assure consumers that products are made with minimal impact on the natural and social environment
Sustainable Winegrowing New Zealand provides members with:
- A framework of efficient and economical viticultural and winemaking practices that encourage environmental stewardship.
- A continuous improvement pathway, enabling organisations to constantly improve and fine tune their methods.
- A knowledge transfer platform for keeping up-to-date with new technology, approaches, and application techniques.
- An external audit structure based on adherence to recommendations and guidelines issued by the OIV (International Organisation of Vine and Wine), with integrity and rigour to exceed market expectations.
- The opportunity to play a part in preserving New Zealand’s unique environment while operating under an independently audited and well-respected sustainability framework.
Pillars of Sustainability:
New Zealand Winegrowers have identified key sustainability focus areas that span all aspects of grape growing and winemaking. Read about them here.
Watch "Why sustainability is important in New Zealand" produced by the New Zealand Winegrowers.